Monday, March 16, 2009

Worship Observation

Okay, I don't mean to offend anybody by this post, but it was just something I observed today. I attended a non-denominational church this morning...this was a first time experience for me. Their service certainly had characteristics that were different from the type of worship I'm used to, but I just rolled with the punches.

Their service was very contemporary and included a band, clapping, frequent "Amen's" and "Hallelujah's", and a separate service for the children. Okay, so this is what I observed. Many people in the congregation were praising God with their hands held high in the air (which by the way is perfectly fine). These people appeared to be heavily caught up in the music and were swaying quite a bit. The funny thing was that as I glanced around the church at these people I noticed that the people they were with were standing rigid. The spouses of these hand-raisers almost seemed to be trying to appear unassociated with these people. A woman in front of me had her hands raised high, swaying to and fro, while frequently shouting "Amen," but her husband stood stiffly next to her looking off to the side. He seemed to be saying, "I don't have a clue who this woman standing next to me is?" This same situation could be seen throughout the church...I couldn't help but laugh to myself.

So that's my Sunday morning observation...again, I hope I didn't offend anybody.

Carson

No comments:

Post a Comment