Sunday, March 1, 2009

Family Reunion

So, every year for the last weekend of February we have our Everts family reunion since it is my grandma's birthday weekend. We usually go to Iowa, stay in a hotel for the weekend, hang out, and head home on Sunday. This year we moved it to Lincoln because it's easier for grandma this way. (We used to do it in Iowa cause we have relatives all over the place.) This was just this weekend and not surprisingly, half of our family wasn't there. Okay, grandma was just diagnosed with Alzheimer's and it's bad when she says, "This could be the last year." That's never a good sign, but I was kinda ticked cause I mean I get that people have lives but she could be right. As much as I don't want to agree with that statement she turned 87 and it's getting close. I spent the summer taking care of her and when I went back to school my cousin took over for me. I know what's going on in her head and I'm sad that more of us couldn't be there.
But I guess the weekend was still pretty fun. Grandma had 8 kids over a lot of amount of years so the cousins are all different ages. There are 21 of us and I am the 3rd youngest. We are all kind of in different age groups but there's a core group of 6 of us that usually come very year aged 11-25ish that hang out. We had a cousins night which we usually do all crammed into one room. It was fun stuff. We usually play alot of cards (poker with candy hearts and BS) watch lame tv, are really loud, and this year there was a lot of drinking involved since now 4 of us are over 21. We had a really nice room this year. Fridge, microwave, coffee maker, big tv, two comfy beds...
Anyway, I forgot my point...I think...I'm a little out of it we don't sleep a lot during these reunions. I think it was that people need to realize that there probably won't be very many more of these and they should make it a priority. It's not like they don't know when we're having it and can't schedule around it, every year it's the same weekend. I'm just confused. I miss the old days when everyone was there and we were all loud and got disturbance notices. We got thrown out of Valentino's for being too loud one year. And we used to have talent contests and two of my guy cousins would do a killer version of "The Perfect Cheer" from SNL. (They did it at my cousin's wedding as well in her cheerleading attire, that was a sight to see). But everyone would be there. It sucks that we're not as close as we used to be.

1 comment:

  1. I miss family reunions. My mother's half of the family rarely did them, but they were fun when we actually did get together. My father's half used to have them yearly, but at the last one we had a few years ago it was decided that it should only happen every other year. Needless to say, we haven't had one since. A lot of family members have passed away since, many of which I hadn't seen since the last reunion, and so your point speaks loudly to me.

    ReplyDelete