Monday, March 2, 2009

Echoing

To 328:
One of the joys of teaching is feeling awe towards a group of people with whom you share learning space. I know, I feel, I understand how you've all done something "hard" with your essays this second time around. As I read through most of them yesterday, I found myself nodding and underlining and getting lost in good reading ways. I echo what some other of your colleagues have said -- that we've learned as we've shared in ways we didn't know we could.

The big sister in me wants to hug you and say thank you and tell you how proud I am for going "there," wherever there has been for you. It takes much risk and much vulnerability to try something new or to revisit something old. With this second round of essays, you've created a community of writers with every word, with every tear, with every powerful moment on that page. You remind me of the importance of risk, of the fear that blank page holds over us and the sigh it releases when filled. I thank you for the reminder. I thank you for the awe. It carries me today.

~LZH

No comments:

Post a Comment