Saturday, March 14, 2009

TV

Besides sports, I don't really get to watch a lot of TV. It seems like I don't have time or, at least, I say I don't. This week, beyond a few small assignments, I had virtually nothing to do for a couple of days on my Spring Break. The last time I watched TV avidly was in high school, namely my freshman and sophomore years.

I think it's pretty amazing what you find on TV these days. VH1 is pretty funny. Beyond "For the Love of Ray J", "Rock of Love", and "A Shot at Love", are there any other shows on that channel where normal people aren't trying to hook up with celebrities? It's also sort of funny to think that several of the celebrities are on their second and third seasons of the show, meaning that their rock of love crumbled, and that their shot at love quickly rimmed out.

Ok, and then, don't laugh...I was watching Dancing With the Stars and the last contestant is this girl who got dumped on the bachelor like three days earlier or something.

Wow.

It seemed like I couldn't get away from these people who think that they can find love through a TV show. I mean, even though the celebrities that they are pursuing are attractive, successful people, what's wrong with finding someone without the aid of some type of media - internet, phone, or TV. To me, those people are a little desperate. Any type of relationship that you could form through media seems very superficial anyways.

Now, I know upon meeting someone, the physique of the opposite sex is what we all see first. No one can argue that. But, usually when we are attracted to someone physically, we soon after meet that person...in person, we talk to them...in person, we laugh with them...in person - none of that overused lol cyber lingo. A relationship...in person...is real. We all know about the many online predators, married cheaters, and downright scum that exist in our cyber society today. Yet, why do so many take the risk in developing relationships with people who they have never seen or associated with...in person?

I guess that a "media relationship" is less pressure. You never have to face the person. And hey, if it doesn't work out, at least you don't have to deal with the in person break up. I think that these relationships are pretty sissy-esque. Even though a profile picture usually gives one a good idea of what the other looks like, a profile picture serves as a mask. A mask that tries to hide the true person behind the picture of you looking your best. The medium of communication - the computer, phone, etc. serves as a mask.

Online dating sites are said to bring people together. According to e-Harmony, everyone who joins their site is getting married soon after. e-Harmony is a joke. If I ever join that site, please punch me in the face. Seriuosly. My apologies if you, indeed, are a member, but if you are, let me ask you this: Why? Why do you feel that you need to resort to the Internet as your way to meet people? Do you feel incapable of meeting and developing a relationship with someone in person?

I wish someone could give me an honest answer. But until then, I'll make my hypothesis. I'll gander that these people are a little insecure, lacking self-confidence, and lonely.

That's the best Dr. Phil impersonation I'll ever do.

Look, I'm a little insecure, lacking self-confidence, and lonely too, but let's look at the positives. I have friends, Jesus loves me, and I get lucky enough to talk to an attractive woman every once in awhile. Now, I know some people aren't satisfied with that optimism. But I beg of those people, don't be satisfied with an online e-Harmony account where you occasionally get a message from a desperate, horny, less than average individual.

Be satisfied with being lonely, for now. Wait on the right person to come into your life...in reality - none of this virtual crap. There are about 6 billion people in this world. One of them is bound to cross your path eventually...in person.

---Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment