Sunday, March 15, 2009

Illocutionary Existence

The only blog I pay attention to (other than this one of course) is: http://fish.blogs.nytimes.com/ Stanley Fish. After reading this weeks disquisition I was left wanting. I found the erudition on neoliberalism disengaging. I really didn't (and still don't) care about some meaningless label that always falls short of the object/person/policy it is applied to.

This got me thinking about how we perceive the existence of others. Obviously, we don't view others' existence in the same way we view our existence, let alone that we view someone's existence in the same way she does. For me, it seems the existence of others is validated through our speech. We say/think words to describe others; we label them. And by our words they come into existence. I mean, I am sure that on some existential level everyone 'exists,' but that person comes into existence or being for us at the moment we give words to describe them.

I guess there are a number of applications: I don't have the same 'labels' for objects that Stanley Fish does, therefore I don't really relate to, or have the ability to label something neoliberal. This also points to the importance of God being known to us in words. Jesus even asked his disciples in Mark 8:27 "Who do people say I am?" We label Him 'God' or 'Messiah' or a whole host of other names. Each points to a small portion of truth but neglects others. The closest thing we have to understanding God (IMHO) is from the accout of the Exodus where God refers to himself as 'I am.' We are still working out what 'I am' means.

Dustin

No comments:

Post a Comment