Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What a "Spring" break...

I came home for break - a much needed break. Last night when my Grandpa came over to do chores, he mentioned the weather was supposed to get bad, I attempted to tune that out. I somewhat pay attention to the weather, in Nebraska you almost have to try considering that one minute it can be sunny and nice and the next minute it is freezing and snowing. This morning, I got up to go to work at about 6:30 a.m. and noticed the nicely glazed deck and driveway, found out my Mom had a late start (she's a paraprofessional for 1st grade). Therefore, I decided I wasn't going to work until later, went back to bed for about half an hour until I heard three loud beeps. When I came out of my room, I found my mom scrounging to find a flashlight... we had lost power. By this time, neither of us could go back to sleep and my Dad needed electricity to finish milking the dairy cows. As he hooked up the generator, we watched them (my Dad and Grandpa) ice skate across the place - not joking, they couldn't take actual steps. My Dad would go for the grassy areas of the place since they weren't quite as slick. We watched the cars go by, thinking one of them may have been in our ditch at one time due to the amount of barking the dogs were doing. School was canceled, our lights came back on (we were without power for about two hours) and right now we're waiting for the electricity to go off again, not knowing when we'll get it back. The power lines are being weighed down quite heavily with ice right now and there definitely isn't any traffic. So I figured I better blog now... just in case we don't have electricity for a few days. I keep thinking back to when this happened in Omaha a few years ago and some people went weeks without electricity.... hoping that doesn't happen here!! See you all in a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment