Sunday, March 1, 2009

Love Songs

Last night I was driving back from Lincoln and heard a song on 98.1 called "Always the Love Songs," by Eli Young Band. They are a band based out of Texas, and having lived there for the last eight years, I've come to enjoy and follow their music quite adamantly. I've never heard them played on the radio anywhere but Texas, so I was pretty excited and happy that they are finally getting the national recognition that they deserve.

Anyways, the song itself, besides being extremely catchy, does a number of things for me. For one, it reminds me of Texas, of old friends, of past memories, of high school, of "love." It really got me wondering how many of the different songs that I know contain, within the words and music, memories of a lifetime. Music can be a powerful instrument, to put it lightly. It's amazing how many lyrics from songs back in the '90s are still imprinted in my mind. If only I could say the same about things I learned in school back then.

A second thing it did was make me think about love songs. Here comes the embarrassing part. I remember, when I was in junior high, hearing different love songs on the radio and thinking about that certain crush I had on this pretty girl in my math class. I remember wondering if I would one day, with the help of a miracle, be able to think about, or maybe even sing, that same song to my crush one day.

As the chorus goes:

It was always the love songs every time
Made everybody feel something inside
With the fire down low...held your girl real close
Made you wanna love the one you were with
Gave you the courage for that first kiss
It was the love songs
Always the love songs

Although, at the moment, I am questioning what "love" truly is and means, I cannot help but stop and think about how true those words of the chorus ring for me. Something about love songs, of your musical preference of course (i.e. rock, R&B, etc.), have a way of striking a chord in people. When I hear a love song, and definitely this song, I think of how I wish I could hear a love song and think of someone dear to me. Love songs, especially now, leave me wanting something more. Although, I have no one to share all of the radio's love songs with, I am able to wish, to wonder, to dream. And that is enough for me, for now.

---Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment