Sunday, March 1, 2009

Meditation on Heaven

So this post is what I wanted to write last week, but didn't, in part because we had to write the alphabet post, and in part because I didn't know if I could write it at that time. But strangely, this writing thing isn't so bad, I'm actually (shockingly) beginning to really appreciate the art for myself. But don't take that too far... I still have a hardcore scientific writing style that can never be altered, even after several English Composition classes.

I went home last weekend, like every weekend, to do my laundry. But this time, it was different. The early morning and midday phone calls alerted us to the fact that my grandma had been in the hospital since Tuesday, and the afternoon phone call informed us that she passed away. It wasn't quite the way I had expected to spend my weekend, but it happened anyway. It was so strange, sitting in church last weekend, and the pastor prayed for us, the family in mourning. I realized, oh, yeah, that's our family. Weird, that's not supposed to be us.

I don't want to drag out any sympathy from you. I am still a little sad, but, as in the deaths I have previously experienced, I never dwell on them. I can't, because I know they are in heaven with the Savior. In fact, that makes me a little bit envious, because they get to be in heaven, sin-free and with God, while I have to continue on this earth.

There's a lot of stuff I'd still like to do with my life. I have the next four years to get my veterinary medicine doctorate, I'd like to get married and have kids, I'd love to travel, I'd love to go overseas on mission trips. But strangely, if I learned tomorrow that I had cancer, I think I could give all these up for the trip home to heaven. I get really excited when I think about going to vet school next fall, but the thought of heaven makes me even more joyful. Sometimes I just can't wait to get there. But apparently God still needs me on this earth, so I'll do whatever His will is in the meantime. It makes me think of that verse Paul wrote to the Philippians (1:21): "To live is Christ, to die is gain." I guess I'll just see what God's plan for me is as He unravels the future in front of me.

My grandma had an amazingly strong faith, one of the things that I really remember best about her, and often I wish I could have the same. Her confirmation verse was 1 Timothy 6:12: "Fight the good fight for the faith. Keep holding on to eternal life, to which you were called and about which you gave a good testimony in front of many witnesses." She really did that on earth, and she was faithful to Christ, and now lives in eternity, like Christ promises in Revelation 2:10: "Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life." I guess that's what we all have to do until we reach our time to go to heaven. Life is not easy, but Christ has equipped us to fight sin, death, and the devil. And He plans to reward our faithfulness with the gift of eternity.

I thought about this today when I was in church, as we sang one of my favorite hymns. It made me think about death, about life, about how this world is challenging but there is no comparison to the future life. It covers everything that I believe, and nothing can have power over the triumph of Christ brought to us through baptism and faith. I'll leave you with the lyrics.

God's own child, I gladly say it: I am baptized into Christ!
He, because I could not pay it, Gave my full redemption price.
Do I need earth's treasure many?

I have one worth more than any
That brought me salvation free Lasting to eternity!

Sin, disturb my soul no longer: I am baptized into Christ!
I have comfort even stronger: Jesus' cleansing sacrifice.
Should a guilty conscience seize me

Since my Baptism did release me
In a dear forgiving flood, Sprinkling me with Jesus' blood?

Satan, hear this proclamation: I am baptized into Christ!
Drop your ugly accusation, I am not so soon enticed.
Now that to the font I've traveled,

All your might has come unraveled,
And, against your tyranny, God, my Lord, unites with me!

Death, you cannot end my gladness: I am baptized into Christ!
When I die, I leave all sadness To inherit paradise!
Though I lie in dust and ashes

Faith's assurance brightly flashes:
Baptism has the strength divine To make life immortal mine.

There is nothing worth comparing To this lifelong comfort sure!
Open-eyed my grave is staring: Even there I'll sleep secure.
Though my flesh awaits its raising,

Still my soul continues praising:
I am baptized into Christ; I'm a child of paradise!

(LSB 594)

~Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment