Sunday, March 1, 2009

Phony Lightning

Okay, this is going to make me sound a little weird and crazy, but whatever. I live in Jonathan dorm and many times when I walk out the side door of the building (facing the west) I see a flash of light in the sky to the west. I don't know what it is, but it intrigues me.

The first few months of school I thought it was a flash of lightning. I always got really excited. A few times I even stood there for a minute or so...waiting to see more lightning. None came. I have always loved storms so after seeing this flash I would get excited in anticipation of the storm. However, I was always disappointed when no storm came rolling in.

At some point I came to realize that it was not lighting, but rather some type of reflection from the lights inside the dorm, bouncing off the glass of the door when I opened it, into the sky. I don't know how it works and I've tried to recreate this phenomenon, but it seems like it can be repeated in a short amount of time. For example, sometimes after this flash of light appears I go back inside and let the door shut. I then go back outside trying to recreate the flash, but it never works.

I'm only writing this because I saw the flash again last night. Every time it happens I get excited for a brief second, but then realize that it is not lightning, but rather some unexplainable phenomenon. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what it may be? Has anyone else seen it? Am I just crazy?

Carson

No comments:

Post a Comment