Monday, March 30, 2009

Don't jump on it

I have started reading the Harry Potter series. I am a little late in this trend, yes, but I do things on my own time. I don't like going along with the crowd. If there is something that people are super excited about and I already don't love it, chances are I'll avoid that something at all costs. Example, the Twilight series that had everyone, including some very close friends, all excited... not me. I have not read any of them, nor do I plan on it. Maybe in 20 years after the vampire-crazed teens have settled down, but not anytime soon.

I have often questioned why I do this. Even last night I was sharing a discussion about this with someone else who has a similar pattern of behavior and thinking. We both really don't know why we don't like to follow the crowd when it comes to these pop culture fads. Instead of doing something because everyone else does it, I would rather like something, develop an understanding, then go along with it.

Example: Sex and the City. I really like the show and have further developed a liking over the years so of course when the movie came out I was very excited. I saw it twice in theaters, which is something I usually don't do. I didn't just jump on the bandwagon because everyone was doing it.

RW

No comments:

Post a Comment