Sunday, March 22, 2009

Reception

We were in Lincoln. You would think that there would not be a place in the city that cell phone reception for all three of our phones would vanish. Of course, the hotel we chose was the one black hole of cell phone bars. Not even the littlest peak wavered up and down. Nothing.
So when we came to my dorm room this morning and found two messages on the room phone and four missed calls on my cell phone I wasn't surprised. Not being able to get hold of my two brothers visiting or myself until after noon today I knew my parents were worried. My dad's worry would be light, practically considering all the reasons our phones would all be out. My mom however, amidst worried laughs admitted picturing us mugged and stuffed into a car trunk. Although I tease her about her worries, I understand. Losing three of four children at once would be beyond endurance. And I can sympathize, because every time my family is together without me, I worry. I panic that they will all be in a car wreck together and leave me alone. I worry that someone will break into the house and murder them. I've always had too much of an imagination. There's truth behind the fear, though, and learning to balance, to not let it overwhelm is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment