Sunday, March 22, 2009

Why I Write

Someone asked me why a college girl would write. Maybe I should stick to partying and exploiting myself, sleeping in and working out when I need to, wearing sweats to class and heels to the house party and write but only for homework, only so I can blend with the bland apathetic pack of hung over wastes . 
One day I met a girl who told me whenever she was in a group of males she felt she couldn't get a word in. She was intimidated and feared sharing her opinions. She still had opinions, even if they weren't heard.
I saw another young girl on television. Her bony body perplexed phD Phil and he literally listed reasons why the worried controlling couple's kid was starving herself. The youth had no say in her life. She didn't get to make the choices in this parent dictatorship. She wasn't heard. She had opinions but they weren't heard.
I sat in class with the pompous teacher. The one with fancy degrees and a mywayorthehighway manner. I had opinions on the matters he placed in front of me. I was not heard.
When I write, you don't see age. When I write, my gender will not be so apparent. When I write I have control. Did you ask me why a college girl writes? I think it's because I have a story. I think it's because I have opinions.


Hannah

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely heard- this has a clear force, a strength and passion that drive your message through the minds of readers, in this case, your writing peers. Thank you for this encouragement.

    ReplyDelete