Sunday, April 5, 2009

Simple

There is something about being alone that is comforting to me. The other week I was sitting in the Marketing office and I was the only one at work. Thank you President Friedrich for having a budget meeting. The usual hum of the women working and phones ringing was missing and the replacement noise was soft. Quiet typing echoed from my keyboard. Occasionally the switchboard rang and I answered. I directed their calls away from there. Turned down the noise.

It's amazing how clear and easy it was to think. It's hard to have clouded thoughts when the "sky" is so blank. Like a new canvas. My thoughts flowed freely and creatively. I had a moment to stop and digest the last few hours. Assess the future. Wonder about the past.

I wondered about what the world would look like if there was more of this unknown activity: silence. If the cars stopped honking and the phones stopped ringing and high schoolers un-budded their ears. If everyone listened. If everyone took a moment to slowly inhale and close their eyes.

Sometimes, it is said that technology has opened the eyes of the world. I wonder, though, how much farther open they would be if technology was on the back burner. I know technology is necessary. I love it, in fact. My name is Emily and I am addicted to technology. Yes, I check my email 10 times a day. Yes I have a blog and a twitter and a facebook and a myspace. Yes. Yes. Yes.

BUT. There is the off occasion that I see the world in silence. That I notice the simplicity of a moment without so much movement. I wonder... how much more could I see?

No comments:

Post a Comment