Sunday, April 5, 2009

I'm Not Going Home for Easter

Easter is approaching, and as a lot of people are heading home for the four day weekend later this week, I'm left wondering why. My hometown is less than four hours away, and yet I don't think its worth the drive for a four day weekend. I guess it has to do with the importance people put on togetherness with family around holidays like Easter. It has never seemed that important or special to me. Sure, it commemorates a very important day for us Christians, but I don't see why I should be with family for the commemoration. When I am with my parents for Easter, we'll go to church together that Sunday and possibly go out to eat. That's it. It's nothing different from any other Sunday with my parents other than the possibility of going to a restaurant to eat. Totally not worth the gas or seven hour round trip.

What about the church services leading up to Easter Sunday? Dad never goes to those and I rarely have. Mom has typically just gone herself and not hassled either of us about going, although there have been occasions that she got me to go to Good Friday service. I wasn't even aware of Maunday Thursday until I was in high school.

So, I ask you: are you going home for Easter break and why?
-Josh

2 comments:

  1. I am going home... to Colorado, which to me is more home than Nebraska. I get to see my grandma, and I don't see her more than a few times a year.
    Maybe I spend time with family and go to church for Easter because I feel we can celebrate our Lord's resurrection together, because it's the most important thing we have in common.
    Have a wonderful Easter, wherever you spend it, meditating on the reason for the day... Christ arisen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Live too far away. Going home with my best friend. Good times. :) I'm glad for those opportunities.

    ReplyDelete