Sunday, April 5, 2009

Muse

I love the name of our blog: "Submerged Truth: Musings of English 328." Submerged truth is a deep thing to think about (no pun intended). I love the word musing. Musings. To muse. A muse.

Muse. n.
Greek Mythology: Any of the nine daughters of Mnemosyne and Zeus, each of whom presided over a different art or science.
A guiding spirit.
A source of inspiration.

A poet.

I am need of a muse for my life. I need inspiration. I need something to inspire some direction, some desire, some excitement. I feel like I have to inspire myself--and I'm terrible at self-inspiration. In college, I'm inspired to get 'okay' grades to keep my scholarships. In high school I was inspired to practice hard by my basketball/volleyball coach.

Sometimes I have truly inspiring thoughts. But the inspiration doesn't last long. It fizzles. Sometimes I'm inspired by something someone says. For example, last night I was chatting with a friend on Facebook. He told me that if I feel so passionate about a certain thing, that I should DO something about it, rather than sit and think about it. So I did. For the first time in a long time, I actually started 'doing.' Maybe, from now on, I should 'do' whatever I feel inspired to do, instead of just thinking about it and imagine what it would be like. I need to keep the inspiration lit in myself once it happens, no matter how it happens.

I hate that I need intense passion to get me interested in 'doing'. I hate that I let myself get in the way of my own dreams and ambitions. It's really starting to get on my nerves. It annoys me when people have higher expectations for me than I have for myself. I'm just living life, trying to survive but I should be actively 'doing', making a difference, being utterly awesome.

My goal in life: be utterly awesome. My inspiration: What would Jesus do?

Alicia "Passionate" Foley

No comments:

Post a Comment