Sunday, April 5, 2009

Getting Along

This has been a subject of great sensitivity for me: my relationship with my mother. We don't get along, you see.

My brothers and sister say that we're so much alike that we can't find a level of agreement. I disagree, but I can say this: I am the person I am today, because of my mother. Without the ability to see her mistakes, I would have no way to learn from them. The piss-off-ed-ness of our qualms help me reflect on how I want to live my life, instead of becoming something like the monstrosity of that woman.

The part of my Dad that comes inside of me is the reflectiveness of the situation. I can take perspective on my own life and where it's headed. If I don't like it, then I change myself, which is no easy feat but necessary. It's important to have that quality in order to know where we stand with ourselves, God and our fellow man.

I slip into habits of the past selves. Let's face it; I'm a sinner. On the whole though, I've made great strides.

Back to the mother thing: I think the good thing about that is I haven't given up yet.

Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment