Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Day in the Life

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." Beatles lyrics always make me feel very philisophical. They inspire deep and critical thinking inside my head.

As a senior who is graduating in less than four weeks (*SOB*), I've been thinking about "the end" a lot. I'm scared poopless. What I fear the most is losing the ability to see all my friends every day and whenever I want. My life is primarily focused on friendship--always has been--because friends help you get through life. Families cause problems and you can't always get away from them; you can't choose your family; school stresses you out. But friends, you get to choose them. With friends, nothing is really obligatory. Maybe for some people their friends cause obligations. But I've become good at choosing friends who don't make you do anything. We're friends because we have a mutual desire to be friends--no obligation. Makes you wanna stick around them.

Anyway, friends get me through life. They distract me, they make me laugh, they make me feel good about myself, they comfort me, they keep me company. I love friends. I don't think that my friends really know how much I appreciate them all. Some more than others--but that's a given.

I've never been happier than during my four years at Concordia. I believe that not only did I get away from my family, but I was held in the arms of the friend that is Concordia. As a whole, Concordia is my favorite 'person.' Everyone here is wonderful--and not just my close friends. I consider my professors to be friends; strangers are friendly; faculty and staff are the greatest people ever.

Why would anyone ever want to leave?

I've moved a couple times. Once from California the summer before 8th grade, when I was 12 years old and then I 'moved' to Nebraska from Texas to attend Concordia. Both those times I lost touch with people I saw all the time. When I moved to Texas, I was excited. I didn't realize how rough it'd be and how truly far away I was from everyone I knew. It eventually hit me hard. Then I moved on...got to high school and met GREAT people at my Lutheran High School. Once again, teachers were friends, I had great friends, loved sports and coaches, etc. I didn't think anything could be better than high school.

Then I arrived at Concordia. After the first week I forgot all about anything I had ever done before and anyone I'd ever met before. I was consumed by the life force of Concordia. I was meeting wonderful new people every day, I was surrounded by people CONSTANTLY. The only time I had time to myself was when I was asleep--and I still had my awesome roommate sleeping below me. My room was swarming will hallmates all the time. I was out and about with my best friend every day and night. Things haven't slowed down ever since. I CONSTANTLY meet new people. Even this semester--my last one--I've met new people and become close to them...and closer to people I already new. Every year I lose friends, or just lose our closeness--either by my choice or theirs (I assume that if it's not my choice, it can only be their's). I should be used to having friends, changing friends, losing contact, etc. This is not the first time I've moved somewhere. I can do it. I just love CU SO much. Honestly. It's so great here.

I just sent an application to a real job. I held my breath as I clicked the "send" button. I'd like this job...but I have an opportunity to work at CUNE for the summer...and I want to take that. I might have an opportunity to continue working at CUNE in the marketing department AFTER the summer and I'd like nothing more...but it's still all up in the air. That's the only downside. What if I get offered a job by the company I just applied to? It would be smart to chose that over waiting around to see if Concordia has a job for me....but...seriously...I would LOVE to work at CU!!!! Small dream job, before park ranger, dolphin trainer, island caretaker, personal trainer, etc.

We'll see!

PS: Why don't more people take advantage of the colored fonts on this thing?I feel like the only one...which is ok. I like to be unique. ;) (Or in the words of Coach Olson, "one of a kind.")

No comments:

Post a Comment