Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas"

I went to rent a few movies Friday afternoon, must've just been as the schools were dismissing for the day. This boy came in, he was probably 10? just guessing, I'm not very good at that - but he was young! And he asked for a movie, but I couldn't hear the title of it. The owner/worker at the rental place really questioned him renting this particular movie, asking him if he knew what the movie was about. She continued on saying it's a very graphic movie and that it is intense, especially for a boy his age. He just told her he was intrigued by "this stuff."All the while, I'm wondering what the heck this kid is trying to rent. He leaves and I go on my search for a good movie. A few minutes later, this guy - I'm assuming it was his Dad - came in looking for him. The little boy had told this man to meet him at the video store so they could go home. The video owner/worker tells this man the same thing she tells the boy. By this time, my curiosity has gotten the best of me and after the man leaves I ask her what movie he rented - "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas." Made me curious that I wanted to see it, but it was rented so I couldn't, probably for the best... but the owner gave me a synopsis of the movie... I'm not going to spoil it for those of you who may enjoy this type of movie, but it's one that would give me nightmares. With this movie being about WW II and the concentration camps, the owner/worker was floored by this boy being "interested" in this stuff, almost to the point of being concerned about this boy when he becomes an adult. My guess is they're learning it in school... I remember when I was probably about his age I loved to read information on Anne Frank's family... This post really doesn't have much point other then that I think it's amazing how much a student can get intrigued to go rent a movie on a Friday night about what he's probably studying in school... granted the movie is probably horrid, it's still learning. And if it wasn't school that intrigued him in this stuff... then I wonder what it was...

No comments:

Post a Comment