Sunday, January 25, 2009

Winter

Today as I waited in the doughnut line at church, I had a short conversation with the lady behind me. I asked her how her week was, and she said, "It was okay. Today I woke up and thought, 'We're one day closer to spring.'"
Some winter days I agree with that, but many times I can't. In late fall, I actually can't wait for winter to arrive. I suppose I like that I can wear my fun, warm sweaters and winter clothes. But I think I just love the season itself, with days full of swirling snow and crisp, cold nights where my breath freezes in my nose. I love winter. But yet the time does come when I eagerly await the thawout brought on by spring, when the trees will start budding and the tulips will rise from the soggy soil. I can begin to work in the garden and sit outside on the porch.
When asked her favorite season, my mom once said to me, "I like every season when it comes." This is how I feel. Spring brings new life, summer is filled with swimming and bike rides, autumn flashes a color show and harvest, and winter brings the glitter of snow. I don't think I could ever live in a place with one 'season' like the tropics, or Florida, or Arizona. I would get depressed, waiting months for the next season to arrive (and it wouldn't).
So even though winter has those days I don't like, I know spring will be here soon enough. And when it comes, I know I will be ready for it.
~Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment