Sunday, January 25, 2009

Organized Like My Mother

I have never been an organized person. Not like my mother who cleaned the bathtub for a stress reliever. In high school I would throw my clothes around the room until the piles were dresser high. My notebooks are always full of loose leaf paper, the important mixed with the unimportant. My mom had to force me to put away my dishes and doing cleaning chores were my least favorite. So why, now that I am in college, does a single dirty dish in the sink make me cringe? Why do my boyfriend's loose water bottles and forgotten jackets strewn around my room cause little bickers between beloved? It seems the roots my mom long ago planted are beginning to blossom. It is not only in the realm of clean that I find myself becoming more and more like her, it is the way I talk, the way I dress and how I give advice. I look at my shadow as I run down the roads of Seward and I see my mother's stride. I am beginning to do a double take at the way that I write lists and the way that I sit in my seat. Isn't it interesting? Isn't it ironic? I am becoming my mother...and its pretty exciting.

1 comment:

  1. I have never thought of myself as a neat freak; neither have I thought of myself as a slob. And yet, once I came to college and was finally fully responsible for keeping my own "space" neat, I realized exactly how lacking I was in the realm of personal tidiness. Homework and time with friends take precedence over making sure my clothes make it to the hamper. Making deadlines and working out are more important than cleaning dishes. And yet, I'm not satisfied with how my room looks.

    This year especially, I've taken much more of an effort to organize and straighten my space. I clean the bathroom regularly. I dust. I am becoming my mother... and for this aspect of my life, it's pretty exciting.

    ReplyDelete