Sunday, January 18, 2009

What is.... insanity?

Dear Diary...

Just kidding!

So, being a first time blogger I am thinking this might come out a little bit... well... odd. So, bear with me, I apologize, don't mind me, etc. etc. First of all, I am not sure whether or not this is supposed to be a 'CNF writing sample-ish thing' or a 'blog about my life and what I witness in it' type of thing. SO, there is reason number one that I am a bit scatter-brained on this. Secondly, it is 1:34 a.m. and I just got back to my room after being in the Sower office working on The Sower since... drumroll please... 9:30 a.m. And it isn't quite finished yet (f y i). SO, since I literally have no other inspiration except for the things I have witnessed in the Sower office today (since that is the only place I've been); my very first blog is going to be about life between four walls.

To start, I may sound like I am complaining (which, don't get me wrong, I sort of am. Sympathy anyone?); however, in all reality, I love the time I spend in the Sower office. I won't lie, last year was hell. The walls were lovely shades of brown and taupe, with a side order of dust and dehydration. Plus, I was trapped listening to the musical musings of Bob Dylan (which, no offense to Dylan fans, is just not for me).

Luckily for me and my sanity, three of the walls are now crisp and white and one of the walls is home to a colorful pattern painted by yours truly (and Alicia!). I suppose the fact that I took the initiative and painted the walls and paid for the paint means that I shouldn't have said "luckily" huh? Luck really had nothing to do with it. But that's besides the point.

Fresh paint jobs aside, I also now have free rein over musical selection (especially because my wonderful managing editor tends to enjoy the same music as I do!). It's all Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears from here on out! Ok, maybe not, I do have to throw in some High School Musical 3 to appease Carson (*wink!*).

Aside from the new look and sound (and feel?) of the Sower office, there is also the joy/woe of spending entire weekends with Carson. I could sometimes refer to it as being trapped in a dungeon of doom and darkness; he regularly tries to fire me, plus he is such a perfectionist (yeah, he is one of those)! However, watching strange infomercials/SNL skits to keep our sanity (does that sound odd to anyone else?) and laughing hysterically about things as simple as writing the "perfect" headline, really just tickles me pink and makes it easy to spend 14 hours straight between four walls. You know what, I'm even going to go out on a limb and say that I don't think I would trade it for anything in the world.

Ok. Maybe I would trade it for somewhere around $1,000,000.

Anyways... this is getting really long and so I am going to stop writing, but here's a little refresher course for you: 1) the office is nice, 2) the company is nicer and 3) I have been in one room with one person staring at a computer for 14 hours... so, please, try not to judge this strange and random blog.

Now, I think that sleep will be the nicest of all.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I feel just the same way! Who would have known too people could have such similar experiences?

    I can certainly attest to the above mentioned comments. There's something strange about Sower weekends. They are both stressful yet relaxing. Perhaps it comes from knowing the responsibility we are faced with as we put together the entire paper. The pressure of wanting everything to come together nicely knowing that the entire campus will be exposed to this paper can be stressful.

    However, the entire process can also be relaxing. It's just the two of us...alone in a basement making all the decisions. Having essentially complete creative freedom on a real publication is quite exciting.

    Another interesting phenomenon of Sower weekends deals with my own mental state. I have become convinced (and Emily could probably attest to this) that having me pent up in the same dungeon-like room for 14 plus hours probably isn't that healthy. As the hours pass, behavior becomes stranger and stranger. I begin mumbling about irrelevant topics, make strange/squirrelish noises, and occasionally have a short outburst for no apparent reasons. Emily is convinced that "I keep getting weirder and weirder." Which is probably true, however by Monday morning the insanity has usually subsided enough to make it through classes.

    Hooray for Sower weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, except then we have to be BACK down in the Sower office on Monday night til all hours of the morning AGAIN! lol. That's ok! I can't wait. :)

    ReplyDelete