Sunday, January 18, 2009

Rediscovering Opinions

I've recently come to the realization that I've been trained not to have an opinion. Being a biology major, I haven't been given many opportunities to think for myself; I've been given a text, read it, memorized it, and regurgitated it for an exam. It's been a long time since I was asked to interpret something... and this week I was asked, "What do you think the author is telling you?" I sat there, shocked. What am I supposed to think? Do I have an opinion? It's taken me a few days to realize that I do indeed have an opinion; it was merely buried beneath facts, figures, and useless quotes.

I've recently discovered an Icelandic band, Sigur Ros. One of the great things about this group is that many of their songs are sung in a made-up language, and the beauty of it is that you use the music to interpret the words and give them your own meaning. I just watched one of their music videos, Vaka #1, on youtube again. I don't usually get emotional when watching music videos, but this one was really powerful. I don't want to give it away by telling about it, so go and check it out on youtube... and draw your own, unique opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment