Saturday, February 28, 2009

Where do you want to go?

As usual, I couldn't think of a blog topic. I decided to randomly search the internet for inspiration... but as I couldn't think of a topic to write about, it was equally hard to think of a topic to google.

I ended up checking out Geography U, Dr. Helmer's blog. (I have to admit I haven't been keeping up-to-date with it, as interesting as it is.) He had a blog topic concerning pictures being worth a thousand words--so I clicked on the link to National Geographic to check out some of their photos. I'm a big nature person, so it's no surprise I ended up in that section.

This picture grabbed me. It's a U.S. temperate rainforest in Washington State's Olympic National Park. I've never been west of Colorado--much less to the west coast--but I still found it hard to believe that a place like that exists in our country... or in real life, for that matter. It looks like something out of a fairy-tale or dream. I was actually reminded of Alice in Wonderland, and half-expected to see the Cheshire Cat's tail poking out from behind a tree.

So then I started thinking about the movie/book, and the part where Alice encounters the cat in a tree near a fork in the road. “Which road do I take?” she asked. “Where do you want to go?” was his response. “I don’t know,” Alice answered. “Then,” said the cat, “it doesn’t matter."

I remember laughing as a young girl at this line, but I never really thought about it till now.

Where do you want to go?
I honestly couldn't tell you.
Then it doesn't matter.

--AEM

No comments:

Post a Comment